Blog Archive


How do I obtain a sickness certificate?

You do not require a doctor’s sickness certificate for any illness lasting seven days or less. Your employer may however require you to complete a self-certification form (SC2) which is available from your employer or on the HMRC website.

Evidence that you are sick
If you are sick for more than seven days, your employer can ask you to give them some form of medical evidence to support payment of SSP (statutory sick pay).

It is up to your employer to decide whether you are incapable of work. A medical certificate, now called a ‘Statement of Fitness for Work’ (see below) from your doctor is strong evidence that you are sick and would normally be accepted, unless there is evidence to prove otherwise.

You could also provide evidence from someone who is not a medical practitioner, e.g. a dentist. Your employer will decide whether or not this evidence is acceptable. If your employer has any doubts, they may still ask for a medical certificate from your GP.

Statement of Fitness for Work – ’Fit Note’
With your employer’s support, the fit note will help you return to work sooner by providing more information about the effects of your illness or injury.

NEW SYSTEM:  If you require a continuation ‘Fit note’ you can request this from our home page on this website through E-Consult.  This is a new and simple way of contacting us.

For more information see the DirectGov website (where this information was sourced).

Sick Note Information During Covid-19

If you need a sick note for isolation due to Coronavirus, please do not attend the surgery, you can get your own ‘Isolation Note’ from the NHS website by clicking on this link: